Monday, April 11, 2011

Australian Food

Well the long study week is finally over. I spent most of my time studying for tests and working on projects in the library, so there is nothing exciting to blog about this week (unless you are interested in hearing about budgeting or cost-volume-profit analysis).  So, during my not so exciting weeks, I will blog about Australian culture. This week I have decided to blog about the food.

Before I arrived in Australia, I didn't know much about 'Australian Food.' I knew about the Australian barbecue (spelled with a C) and the saying, "Let's put another shrimp on the barbie." Thanks Lloyd.
But no one really says this here....(Australian lingo blog coming soon)

Barbecuing is obviously one aspect of the Australian food category. So I knew I would be eating shrimp, along with sausage, onion, steak, kebab, and chicken; which all make up your typical barbecue dinner. These dinners are very popular and bring people together just like grilling out in America does.

Barbecue's and fund raising go well together and are called 'sausage sizzles'.
Shrimp are actually called prawns. Yum, yum.
Another popular food in Australia are meat pie's. Meat pie's are hand-sized pie's containing diced or minced meat and gravy. These sometimes contain other ingredients such as onions, chicken, mushrooms, cheese, or vegetables. You can eat meat pie's for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and they are very tasty!


A third popular food is fish and chips. You have most likely heard of this dish but its essentially deep fried fish covered in batter accompanied with french fries. When I was at the Australian Open in Melbourne I had my fair share of fish and chips.

French fries are called chips.
Popular condiments: tomato sauce and barbecue sauce 
Not so popular condiments: ranch dressing, mayonnaise, and mustard

I also enjoy......

Weet-Bix: A breakfast cereal made from wholegrain wheat.

AND
Tim Tams -  two layers of chocolate malted biscuit, separated by a light chocolate cream filling, and coated in a thin layer of textured chocolate.

These are very good with a glass of milk
Even though I am far from America, there are still many fast-food chains like McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut. The two most popular are McDonald's and Burger King but they have different names. McDonald's is called Macca's and Burger King is called Hungry Jacks.
My first reaction when I saw this was, "Oh my gosh, they copied Burger King."

These are just a couple of the different foods I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy while I am here. I am sure to eventually come across something new, like Kangaroo meat, but have not been exposed to that yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty hungry now after posting this blog, so I'm going to have a meat pie. Have a good week!









1 comment: