Tuesday, May 17, 2011

ANZAC Day, Surfing, Greg Norman, and Rotary

ANZAC DAY 
ANZAC day is celebrated on the 25 of April each year in Australia and New Zealand. This is a national day of remembrance for these two countries as they reflect on the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at the battle of Gallipoli in Turkey during World War 1. Today, it more broadly commemorates all those have who served and died  in any type of military operation for their country. I meant to blog about this on ANZAC day but did not since I was at Fraser Island (see past blog posts).






FYI..Popular cookies in Australia are called ANZAC biscuits. These biscuits became popular during war time as the ingredients do not spoil easily... making them good for long periods of time on the battle field. Click here for recipe


SURFING
I went surfing again the other week in Noosa and had better luck this time. I was able to get up on a wave four different times. This was much better improvement from my last try. 

Pictured are some friends of mine. From left to right.. Carlos from Columbia, Linda from Sweden, James from America, Antonia from Germany, and Sarah from Canada. 

GREG NORMAN
If your a golf fan then you've probably heard of the Australian golfer, Greg Norman. Anyway, when I was in Noosa, I was walking down the beach and thought, "Hey, that guy looks a lot like Greg Norman." As I got closer,  I realized it was and simply just said out loud, "Greg Norman" and gave him a thumbs up. He apparently did not want others around to know it was him as he just gave me a smile and looked down. Needless to say, I spotted The Shark in Australia so that was pretty cool.


ROTARY
I gave a speech to the West Brisbane Day Break Rotary club this week. It has been very interesting to share about the current situations going on in the States with the Mississippi river, as well as the recent tornado outbreak. Queensland experienced major flooding when I arrived in January, so many people here understand what a lot of people around the Mississippi River are experiencing now.

Exchanging Rotary banners with Giles Tilley, West Brisbane Daybreak club president. 
I have five more talks scheduled for the next two months and am very much looking forward to them! Hope you have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment