Monday, September 5, 2011

Aussie music, Vegemite, Southern Cross, Brisbane Festival, Lockyer's Last Game, and Rotary

Aussie Music
Since I have been in Australia I have been listening to a lot of Australian music (mainly in the genre of rock).  Its nice to have Aussie housemates who know good music and can point me in the right downloading direction. Anyway, the following songs are just a few of the many great bands from Australia that I have been listening to lately. Enjoy.

It was a shocker when I heard that AC/DC is an Australian Band! Some people might argue that AC/DC is a British-Australian band  because a lot of the members come from Britain (I believe there were two band members from Australia when the band started). But anyway, they became AC/DC in Sydney and gained fame here first. Therefore, I believe this makes them an Australian band.

Bee Gee's
The band started in Australia but all the members are 
originally from Britain.

Crowded House-Don't Dream It's Over

INXS-Need You Tonight

Silverchair-Ana's Song

Midnight Oil-Beds Are Burning 

 Gotye-Somebody That I Used To Know (this is one of my favorite songs right now)

Savage Garden-Truly, Madly, Deeply (This song takes me back to the good ole days: 7th grade)

Jet- Are You Gonna Be My Girl

The Vines- Get Free

YOU MAY NOT HAVE HEARD THE FOLLOWING SONGS BEFORE
BUT THERE GREAT NONE THE LESS.
GANGjajang- This is Australia

Men at Work- Land Down Under

Icehouse- Great Southern Land 

 Slim Dusty-Waltzing Matilda (Australian Country)

Those are just a few of the many great bands of Australia.There are so many more but that will do for now.

Vegemite
I did a blog post a while back on Australian food but left out something important called Vegemite.

What is it? 
Vegemite is a dark brown paste made from yeast extract and is usually put on toast and sandwiches. Ninety percent of all Australian have Vegemite in their kitchen.

Our kitchen is part of that statistic...

What does it taste like?
Ever had salt? It tastes a lot like that. Obviously it's a little different than that, otherwise it would be called salt, but that's how I would describe it. It has a slight bitter taste as well. Anyway, a lot of people like it. Their called Australians and they start eating it when their young.

"If an Aussie is being honest with you, they'll admit it's an acquired taste. With Vegemite you either love it or hate it. Our experience has been that if you're raised eating it when you're very young, you generally like it as an adult."-  quote from www.alldownunder.com
Southern Cross
I became an amateur star gazer at a young age (thanks dad). If my sister and I still lived at home we would, without a doubt, still be woken up at 4am to go see an event happening in the sky (shooting stars, comets, eclipse, space shuttle moving across the sky, etc). Anyway, the Southern Cross is visible from the Southern hemisphere so I get to see it every night. 


The Southern Cross is particularly familiar to Australians as the stars are part of the Australian National Flag and are contained in their National Anthem.

The 5 stars on the right make up the Southern Cross. The 7 pointed start on the left (under the Union Jack) is the Commonwealth Star and represents the 6 states of Australia (the 7th point represents the territories and any future states).


The Australian National Anthem
 Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.



Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
 We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.


Brisbane Festival 
The Brisbane Festival is held each year in Brisbane around the start of Spring. The event showcases a huge firework show in the city, helicopter and jet flyovers and some amazing laser and light shows. My housemates and I watched everything from a distance while we ate some fish and chips. It was pretty cool.

This is a picture from the 2010 Brisbane festival and is much cooler as they had two jets fly over and do a fuel dump. This year they didn't do it. Would have been cool to see.



Lockyer's Last Game at SunCorp Stadium
I went to Darren Lockyer's last game at SunCorp stadium last night with some friends. It was nice to see the Bronco's pull out a win for their team mate and it was good to be there to witness it all. Everyone was allowed onto the field after the game for a special presentation to Locky.

All for Locky
Good on you, mate
Rotary
Spoke to the Rotary Club of Caboolture about 4 months ago but was just sent the picture from the club last week. Here it is.
Next week some rotary scholars and I will be displaying a ShelterBox on the University of Queensland campus for four days. I am really looking forward to it. I hope we have good weather and can raise enough money to send one of these boxes to Kenya for ten people.

Reminders of Mississippi


I found this magazine in a stack of National Geographic's at a church a few weeks ago. I got permission to take it home. 


Have a good week.

Did I mention I miss my dog? 







1 comment:

  1. wow this good but ,I like your post and good pics may be any peoples not like because defrent mind all poeple , by your side

    ReplyDelete