Wednesday, July 27, 2011

State of Origin, Cadel Evans, Mississippi authors, and Rotary

School starts
School has officially started again so I have been pretty busy this week trying to work out my class schedule and work load. I feel more confident and less stressed about this semester now that I know how school operates and what is expected of me. At the beginning you don't know how things work. Remember your first year in college as a freshman? It's like that but its even more overwhelming as an international student because you've just shown up in a new country that you don't know and a new school which has different rules and expectations than what your used to.  I have met some of the new students and have done my best in teaching them how things are and what they can expect. I have said goodbye to a lot of my friends from last semester and will now begin the process of making new friends for this semester. Yes, I have made many permanent friendships by now but always enjoy meeting new international students and learning about other people and cultures. Last semester friends were German, Swedish, Canadian, and Korean. This semester I will shoot for Norwegian, Austrian, French, and Chinese. Haha, will see what happens.


State of Origin
I am just now getting around to blogging about this so its long overdue but its something that I must tell you about. Its so important to Queensland and its people that it really deserves a full blog on its own. Since I am not a real Queenslander, I can get by with talking about it in these next few paragraphs. So, what is it about? The State of Origin is a series of three Rugby League matches that takes place once a year between the state of Queensland and the state of New South Wales.

The Queensland team are called the 'Maroons' while the New South Wales are called the Blues.

Players are selected to play for the state in which they played their first senior (or registered) rugby league match (hence the name State of Origin). These players must also be good enough to represent Australia at the international level. In the end, what you have are two teams consisting of the most talented Rugby League players in all of Australia.

"Despite the existence of international tournaments and State of Origin being a domestic competition, it is frequently cited, within Australia, as being the highest-level of rugby league played anywhere in the world."


To live in Queensland and not know about The State of Origin would be like living in the South and not knowing about the South Eastern Conference. Can you imagine an event each year where all of the best Mississippi football players came together to play all of Alabama's greatest football players. Age is not a factor and there would be is no division between college football and NFL. If your good enough, you will play. Imagine Brett Farve, Deuce McAlister, Patrick Willis, you name the player, playing against some of Alabama's greatest. Then tag on thirty years of historical matches. What you get each year is an explosive rivalry all within one month. It's crazy.

The State of Origin started in 1982 and the series score is Queensland 18 wins to New South Wales 12. Five of those wins have come in the last five years so Queensland has been on a long winning streak. I know what your asking yourself; "Did the winning streak continue for Queensland or did New South Wales break it?"  Thankfully, I was here to see Queensland win!!  This makes for six in a row. This year was no easy win though as it came down to game three for all the glory. Go MAROONS!


Cadel Evans
Just wanted to congratulate Cadel Evans for being the first Australian to win the Tour de France this last week. Good on you Cadel for all your hard work and commitment. If you read this blog, give me a shout. 


Tennesse Williams, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Many of you may know this already but Tennessee Williams is from Mississippi. Every time I go into the city I see a big poster displayed on the Brisbane Theatre of Arts building as his play, 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof', is showcasing this next month. I keep being reminded of Mississippi no matter where I travel. If you follow this blog you will remember that I saw a B.B. King poster as I was walking on the streets of Melbourne.



Kathryn Stockett's, The Help 
The Help will be the next thing to remind me of home. Look for it in theater's on August 10.

 


ROTARY
I spoke to the Rotary club of Nundah last night and they really enjoyed the presentation. I also really enjoyed meeting them. Some questions I was asked include:

1.)What is okra made from?
2.)Do houses on the coast have building codes that they have to follow to protect against hurricane damage?
3.)Do you have to have a permit to hunt?


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment